Sunday, January 18, 2009

Becoming our mothers, mother....

So the other day I caught myself mid-action becoming my grandmother. Have you ever had that experience before?

Times that you have noticed your becoming your mom, grandma, dad, etc ?

My Grandma is the sweetest thing and she pays attention to detail more than anyone I know. She goes overboard every Christmas, but every present was was given extreme thought. She is always the first person to help with anything for anybody. She is known for the best ribs and party food. (And lots of it. ) We know when we are getting together that we will be fed well. She is one of those that takes every bit of meat on the bone, saves left over Raman noodles and doesn't waste a thing.

She is 83 and still loves to babysit. And she has the most spunk of anyone I know..... (huge Jazz fan)

She is known for telling stories in full detail...more than we really need to know.

Like I said she is a detail person...

Well back to where I come in. The other day when I was having breakfast I usually will throw away the end of the bag of cereal. There might be enough for one more bowl, but the bag is taking up too much space in the cupboard so toss it right...well as of late thinking frugaly ( I think I just made that word up) I take the cereal and pour out what I can into my bowl without getting the crumbs... I grab a colander and proceed to lean over the garbage and sift out the crumbs so that I can get the few last whole pieces of cereal and I think to myself..."this is something that grandma would do."

No matter how much I try I know I will become a little of my mother, a little of my grandmother and the "Beers" gene lives on....forgive me honey!

mom young teen IMG_2816

2 comments:

Abby Fowers said...

LOL! That's a great story! Don't worry, you are not alone. I find my self in those situations more than I want to. Often times it is something that I swore I would never do --- and then! There I am doing it! It's curse, but maybe a good thing! Sounds like your grandma is a wonderful woman!

WheelersFamily said...

Just call me Mini Debbie. I am so much like my Mom it's a little scary.

 
business degree programs