Tuesday, September 16, 2008

So rewind to yesterday...

So yesterday I posted how I have been feeling about my house now for a week or so..(definitely more)

But Yesterday Night I finally did something.

Well after having the same day as described yesterday. I was starting dinner and was like  "What the crap...the kids are playing next door, Riley is coming home in a few minutes and the house is still a disaster! Why am I cutting the kids so much slack! Its all there crap anyway."

So I called them home and gave them 20 minutes to pick up all their stuff scattered all over the house before Gunny Bag was coming and eating all the toys that are not put away.

We have done the Gunny bag before but I haven't been very consistent with it. It works well for Jack because he is not a really good pick'er up'er.

So after the 20 minutes I started the Gunny Bag song and set off with a big black trash bag to gather all the stuff still out.  It was the biggest loot yet for Gunny bag but I think that's mostly because I usually clean with them. But this time it was all up to them.

Then they could earn their toys back by doing so chores around the house. So, of course they all want to vacuum. So I get the heavy vacuum for Maddie, a lighter one that doesn't run for very long for Jack and a really small one that I used for the hardwood floors and the stairs for Sam. It was quite funny to see all the kids vacuuming the whole downstairs

Then Maddie got a lesson for folding clothes and helped me with a basket of the kids laundry while I finished dinner.

And all that took was an hour of everyone's time. And the house looked a lot better.

BTW Riley also helped, he unloaded the dishwasher and helped the kids grab some of the last toys on the floor before Gunny Bag made it up there.

So now the last room is my room that is still filled with baskets of laundry that needs to be folded.... of course our jobs are never done.

6 comments:

Chad said...

HA HA HA HA The gunny bag. Oh yes, I remember the gunny bag in my childhood days. It was so scary to watch the gunny bag suck down my toys into it's deep darkness. Like Jack, I was not a very good picker upper and had to suffer the attacks of the gunny bag. Good work

WheelersFamily said...

ha ha ha
Good idea!

Devyn said...

That is so funny! I remember the gunny bag song!! It was on the same tape that played "Oh Boy, I've Got Joy!" My favorite songs! That is a good idea! When Jaxon gets older I will have to remember that one! I didnt even know you had a blog!! I am so excited you do!

Patterson5 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patterson5 said...

Ah.. the good old days of Gunny Bag. Okay not really, I was Terrified of that bag!! Do you remember my mom's hideously creepy mud brown, red eyes, huge mouth Gunny Bag? Scary! I vowed never to use gunny bag on my kids when I became a mom.......and then I had kids, and they wouldn't pick up their toys and after tons of painful useless approaches to picking up toys guess who got out a gunny bag and the song? And then when I did Nathan got soooo scared and started to cry and the memories came flooding back!! I have not given up on gunny bag, dont get me wrong we are still trying to casually bring him up like, "you better pick up those toys or gunny bag will come!" Sorry this is so long but I obviously had to comment on this one! Sounds like "the bag" is going well for you, awesome!

Stacie said...

That is such a great idea! My Reagen is a horrible picker upper! Maybe that will work for her!

 
business degree programs